Whenever the boys need a quick snack, my go to is always fruit. They love it and it's quick, easy, and healthy. Sometimes they want more of a dessert, but I don't want to whip up a big batch of cookies. Microwave cinnamon apples is usually what I make for them, and all three of them devour it! With the holidays here and cranberries in the stores, I wanted to try out a new spin on our old favorite.
Ingredients for one serving:
- one apple (I usually use Gala or Fuji)
- 4-6 cranberries
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp honey, sugar, or maple syrup
- Peel, core, and cut apple into cubes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and your choice of sweetener on top of cubed apple and cranberries in a microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with a glass plate or microwave safe lid.
- Microwave for 3 minutes, or until apples and cranberries are tender.
- Serve by itself or with ice cream or homemade coconut whipped cream
This treat is great for after school, after dinner, or even while cozied up by the fire, watching a Christmas movie with your family. Everyone will feel special and festive with this dessert!
*Cranberries are so versatile and can be used in any sweet or savory recipe, but are very tart, so you will want to adjust ingredients accordingly when adding cranberries to a recipe. Fresh cranberries are very different than dried cranberries because dried cranberries are usually sweetened. When adding dried cranberries to a recipe, you don't want to add too much additional sweetener.
Microwave Cinnamon Apples - A Tasty Snack Kids Love!
Monday 26th of June 2017
[…] as far as the type of apple (we prefer Gala, Golden Delicious, or Fuji), sweetener, and any add-ins you'd like. Go crazy with this recipe, it's guaranteed […]
Thursday 25th of May 2017
Question about cranberries in microwaved apples..... are they dried cranberries or fresh or frozen? Thanks
Monday 29th of May 2017
I use fresh, but I'm sure frozen would work. Dried cranberries adds a different texture, but you could try.
Wednesday 3rd of December 2014
Sounds like the perfect snack for this time of year