This is a super simple recipe that I made that we call “Spicy Casserole.” It’s not overwhelmingly spicy, but you can adjust the spiciness to fit your family’s taste.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Spicy casserole is an easy weeknight dish that's easy to throw together and very satisfying.
- 3 cups black beans, (or 2 cans)
- 3 cups pinto beans, (or 2 cans)
- 1 1/2 cups corn, (1 can)
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 2-3 chicken breasts, diced and cooked OR 1 lb hamburger meat, cooked
- tortilla chips, crushed
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cayenne pepper, to taste, optional
- Cook meat, garlic, and onion in a pan until fully cooked.
- Add black beans, pinto beans, corn, and diced tomatoes and green chilies and warm over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Spray 8×10 inch glass baking dish with spray oil.
- Crush tortilla chips or break tortillas and make a fine layer on the bottom of dish.
- Add half of your meat mixture on top of the chips or tortillas.
- Repeat step 5 and 6. Top with cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbly.
- Serve with chips, rice, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or anything else you might want!
(I used blue corn/flaxseed chips on top for an extra crunch!)