Get ready to up your sandwich game with a mouthwatering combination of flavors! Barbecue Chicken Grilled Cheese on Sourdough with Pickled Banana Peppers is a tantalizing creation that brings together the smokiness of barbecue, the ease and availability of chicken, the richness of melted cheese, and the zing of pickled banana peppers. This sandwich is a celebration of taste and texture, making it a perfect choice for those who crave a satisfying and flavorful meal.
You can use store-bought, premade shredded barbecue chicken or you can easily make your own. Put a few skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs in the slow cooker in the morning, add 1/2 cup of water and some salt and pepper, and some barbecue sauce on top of the chicken, cook all day and then right before you are ready to assemble your grilled cheese sandwiches, pull out the barbecue chicken and shred with two forks or in your mixer!
Can you use rotisserie chicken?
Sure! The flavor will be a little different, but just shred and mix your rotisserie chicken and add some bbq sauce and stir before assembling your bbq chicken grilled cheese sandwiches.
You can also use leftover chicken, which makes this a great next day recipe that is quick and delicious!
Should you use sourdough bread for a grilled cheese sandwich?
Sourdough bread is an excellent choice for grilled cheese for several reasons, making it a popular and flavorful option for this classic comfort food:
- Robust Flavor Profile: Sourdough bread is renowned for its distinctive tangy flavor, which adds an extra layer of complexity to your grilled cheese sandwich. The combination of the sourdough’s unique taste with the rich, melted cheese creates a harmonious and satisfying experience for your palate.
- Sturdy Texture: Sourdough has a chewy and substantial texture with a firm crust, making it ideal for holding up to the heat and pressure of grilling. This sturdiness ensures that the bread maintains its structure during the cooking process, providing a satisfying crunch on the outside while remaining soft and flavorful on the inside.
- Better Crust Development: Sourdough’s natural acidity and fermentation process contribute to a superior crust formation during grilling. The crust becomes golden brown and crisp, adding a delightful contrast to the gooey and melty interior of the grilled cheese.
- Digestibility: The fermentation process involved in making sourdough bread breaks down gluten and phytic acid, potentially making it easier to digest for individuals with mild gluten sensitivities. This can be a beneficial aspect for those looking for a more digestible bread option.
- Versatility: Sourdough’s robust flavor and texture make it a versatile canvas for various grilled cheese combinations. Whether paired with classic cheddar, gourmet cheeses, or added ingredients like barbecue chicken and pickled banana peppers, sourdough complements a wide range of flavors, making your grilled cheese experience all the more delightful.
What kind of pan should I use to make grilled cheese sandwiches?
I have this cast iron griddle that I LOVE for making grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas, but you can use any small pan or even a pan like this gorgeous ultracomb frying pan. (Just make sure to use bamboo, wooden, or silicon spatulas to avoid scratching.)
When you get more familiar with this recipe or if you are a pro at making grilled cheese sandwiches, you can change up or add more ingredients to make this recipe even more incredible! Garlic butter instead of regular butter, olive oil if you are dairy free, creamy avocado inside the sandwich, spicy bbq sauce for a spicy chicken sandwich with added gooey goodness and spice! A dash of onion powder, green onion, or fresh garlic will also add flavor to your sandwich.
What do I serve with my grilled cheese sandwich?
I like to serve some fruits or vegetables when I make grilled cheese sandwiches, but also some potato chips, extra bbq sauce in a small bowl for dipping, and a glass of tea makes this the perfect meal!
Try this recipe with french bread for an easy bbq chicken pizza.