Two years ago, when we first moved to the house we are in now, the boys were sick all of the time. It was either allergies, a cold, ear infections, or strep. Oh man, a 2 1/2 year old with strep is NOT fun. Nor is a hubby with strep fun, by the way! I don’t know what was going on that Summer, but it was miserable. I’m not sure if the kids’ immune systems were just becoming stronger during that time or what, but I’ve started doing a few different things with them to help them stay healthy. It’s easy to assume that kids are usually healthy during the summer, but colds and viruses still survive in the summer, and my personal theory is that with so much daylight and excitement, it is sometimes harder for kids to get the rest they need.
Here is what we do to help keep the kids healthy during the summer. I’m sure there is much more to be done, but so far, these have seemed to really help!
- Change air conditioner filters more often during the summer months. It stands to reason that if you’re using your AC more, you need to change the filter more often! Set reminders on your phone for at least once a month. Don’t feel you have to get the most expensive kind, either!
- Wash hands anytime you’ve come from the store, daycare, church, outside, bathroom, etc!
- Use sunscreen, whenever your kids may be out in the sun. It’s easy to get burnt, quickly! We opt for natural sunscreens that are gentle on skin.
- Wear helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads when bicycling, skating, riding the scooter, etc! Safety is a must!
- Encourage water, all day long. Dehydration can make anyone feel ill!
- Adopt a vitamin regimen. Research and find what’s best for your family.
- Provide fresh fruits and veggies for snacks and at mealtimes.
- Keep a first aid kit handy for summer scrapes, wounds, sunburns, insect bites and allergy attacks!
5 Daily Habits To Boost Your Immune System This Winter
Thursday 22nd of February 2018
[…] How To Keep The Kids Healthy During the Summer says: January 22, 2018 at 2:27 pm […]