Yesterday was January 13th, which was the 13th day of Hubby's low carb diet. I've tried to keep things interesting and it's actually been fun! He's lost weight, I've lost a few lbs, and we plan on continuing eating fewer carbs, more veggies, and eating out less. So far, so good. Well, last night it was time to make dinner and I saw the ground turkey sitting in the fridge. I had planned on making turkey meatloaf with it because I looooove turkey meatloaf, but I decided to make a new meal instead, thinking about how the hubby isn't such a turkey meatloaf fan, although he will eat it.
I should say that hubby didn't eat the butternut squash, because I think that it's not a low carb food and even if it was, I'm not sure he'd be thrilled about it. BUT the butternut squash that I added to this meal made it over the top delicious!!
- one pound of ground turkey
- three green onions or 1/2 onion, chopped
- one yellow squash, diced
- two cups of chopped okra
- five slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- one cup butternut squash, cubed
- olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Place butternut squash in oven, cut in half in a 1/2" of water, in a glass baking dish on 400, cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Brown turkey and bacon in the same pan.
- While the meat is cooking, cook your squash, onions, and okra in a little bit of olive oil. Salt to taste.
- When everything is cooked to your liking, combine everything in a pan.
- Add a cup (or more) of butternut squash to the mix. Stir and serve!
This could be served over rice or noodles,or with toast, too. I used frozen okra since it is not in season.
35 Mind Blowing Bacon Recipes
Wednesday 27th of April 2016
[…] Veggie, Bacon, Turkey Recipe – Captain […]
Low Carb Dinners in Less than 30 Minutes - Jenn's RAQ
Wednesday 27th of January 2016
[…] Veggie Bacon Turkey Recipe […]
Tuesday 15th of January 2013
I love anything with butternut squash! This looks so yummy!!